Sunday 1 August 2010

Chris' LEJOG Training (4 weeks to go)

This week i set myself the challenge of cycling to work and back twice
previous weeks training have mostly consisted of 5 to 10 mile mountain bike blasts in the woods at the back of work, i did a few trips either to or from work on my bike, really striggled on a more than one occasion
so this was a big deal for me
work is roughly 26 miles each way, usually taking in a fairly long stretch of the A30 unless i can avoid it

Those that know me well will recall that my sense of direction is pretty poor at best and these trips to and from work work have really reminded me of that fact, 1 trip being extended to 33 miles cos i went left instead of right onto the A30, when i arrived at egham instead of sunningdale i knew something was not quite right
At this point it was time to engage sat nav and get myself to work!!!

so far i have yet to complete the same route twice either to or from work but feel i have now got the better of my nemesis which is the collection of roundabouts which makes up farnborough, i got lost there in the car doing dummy runs in preperation and have now after 5 failures got through farnborough twice without getting lost

A complete contrast to the A30 and farnborough is the perfectly serene section of my commute, through windsor great park, several miles of beautiful, peacefull, landscape
if i pick the right route through the great park i go through the dear enclosure, absolutely stunning, 100's of dear having their breakfast, largely ignoring me as i trundle through at 6 in the morning

This part of my journey really makes me want to praise GOD, every day i am surrounded by the hussle and bussle of the daily grind, working for the MAN, surrounded by technology and flashing lights and beeping noises but this is real creation at it's most complex and beautiful and what a blessing to be able to see it ad for it to be so accessable if only we take the time to look

Already looking forward to August 28th

see below for links for this past weeks runs, the last one is short because the my phone went flat whillst i tried to sat nav my way out from being lost again

28.7 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes at an average speed of 12.7mph
27.6 miles in 2 hours 30 minutes at an average speed of 11mph (had a puncture)
25.9 miles in 2 hours 16 minutes at an average speed of 11.4 mph
average speed of 12.2mph

No comments:

Post a Comment